Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Discouraged

Last Wednesday I had an interview that I really hoped would be my ticket out of my current job situation. In the two years  that I've been looking for a new job, I've never had an  interview quite like this one, in that when I left I had absolutely no idea how it had gone or what my chances were. You may recall that it was a bookkeeper/secretary position at an elementary school.

The principal who interviewed me was a middle aged woman, conservatively dressed, polite, and careful. I liked her well enough. She was clearly doing a lot of interviews because one woman was leaving when I got there and another was waiting to go in to her as I left. Also, the people in the office asked me if I was "Sarah" and when I said no, they checked a schedule and said that "Sarah" was someone who would interview later that afternoon. So just like I had feared, there were probably dozens of other applicants. The principal asked me about 10 questions, most of which were pure useless drivel. Here's a good example: "What does professionalism mean to you?"  Even she looked bored by the whole process. I don't think I did badly, but I don't think I stood out in any way, either. And seeing as how she said I would hear by the beginning of this week if they were going to make me an offer, and it's Wednesday afternoon, I'm pretty sure I didn't get it.

I'm trying not to be too disappointed. Even if I had been offered the job, the base salary was too low and I would have had to talk them into more money to be able to accept it. Without a couple more dollars an hour I would be forced to stay on part time at the bookstore, and I really don't want to do that. And it would be a 30 minute drive each way as opposed to the 10 or 15 now. But damn, I'm tired of looking for a new job! It's been a small second job in itself: checking job postings almost daily, sending out letters of interest and resumes, interviewing (if I'm lucky),  and then all the waiting, which for me is the worst part. All the while, I continue to plod along at a job that I've actively disliked for years now. When will it all end?!

I'm feeling kind of fed up with the whole process, to be honest. How do you all cope when you feel stuck and discouraged in life?

21 comments:

  1. Hello Jennifer, I started working for myself. Saved me from a life of depression (you can read about it here if you wish: http://science.sciencemag.org/content/sci/351/6274/782.full.pdf). That uses my real name. My point is, you should think about it, perhaps. (Just nipping over from John's blog). If you are in a box you should think about life outside of it, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and for stopping by. This sounds like good advice.

      Delete
  2. Listen to friends and family who will cheer you on. I am cheering for you. I believe the right job for you will appear soon. For me, I ask God to steer me in the right direction. You will find a great job soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. Everyone keeps telling me that the right job is just around the corner. I sure hope so!

      Delete
  3. You just can't stop believing that there is that perfect job out there for you. You are a wonderful person and your future employer will see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awfully nice of you to say. All these kind comments are very cheering.

      Delete
  4. I first hit the job market in the mid-60's, and there was NO QUESTION of not getting any job one wanted (depending on qualifications, of course); but these days it seems to be the opposite. Maybe Andrew is right, and you should consider being self-employed; at what, only you can know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was younger I seemed to get jobs with ease, including a couple that were truly memorable that I enjoyed. These days it doesn't seem nearly so easy....the economy isn't what it once was!

      Delete
  5. So far, it was somehow always that jobs found me and not the other way round. I have been part of the working world since 1986 and am only at my 5th (and possibly last) job, so I am hardly qualified to give good advice.
    But I can imagine how frustrating it all is, and can only hope you'll soon find a way out of your current situation. Having a loving partner and a good home life certainly helps. Letting off steam in various ways (could be writing, could be sports/running/walking, could be singing or any other hobby you enjoy) is another idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my home life is great. I'm very lucky on that front!

      Delete
  6. I have nearly always got my jobs through temping Jennifer, even my career as a stockbroker started off as an office temp developing a filing system. I personally never interview very well so temping, when people can get to know me, has always been just about my only way "into" employment. I don't know what temping is like in your home town but if you are flexible and willing it may be worth looking in to. Hang on in there Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the thought of temping, but there's one major drawback: those jobs don't offer health insurance benefits and since my husband is self employed, I carry the insurance for both of us. In the US it's crucial to have it; and especially since Gregg is a cancer survivor it's an essential part of what I'm looking for in a new job.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for explaining this Jennifer. I understand your difficulties more. You are a great person. Please keep thinking positive there and we are all with youxxxx

      Delete
  7. Are there any recruitment or employment agencies you can sign up with so that they can do a lot of the legwork? When discouraged like this you can do one of two things Jennifer. Soldier on bravely in a job you have grown to dislike or keep on keeping on, with your chin up, thinking positively until you get a new position. Also remember to count your blessings. You have a man and two happy dogs who love you and a roof over your head, food on the table and as far as I know good health. These things are very precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very grateful for all the good things in my life. I don't take them for granted.

      Delete
  8. Don't give up. The fact that you are getting interviews is important, because most people do not. Not sure why they would have lined up the interviews one after another like that so that the candidates could see their competitors for the job. I find that a little insensitive. Plus it doesn't give the interviewer any in-between time to record her thoughts about the job candidate. Be sure to ask some big-picture questions of your own in an interview - it makes you memorable and shows that you are interested. Especially if you are asking thoughtful questions about the goals of the organization. In fact, I think the next time you are asked what your idea of professionalism is (and you will be more prepared for it next time) you can answer it thoughtfully and when done, turn it around and tell the interviewer you would be interested in hearing what her/his idea of professionalism is. It will tell you a whole lot about what it might be like working there. Keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tis a bugger looking for a new place of employment m'dear. Especially when one is unhappy in your present job, I should know because I am most unhappy in mine. Do not be disheartened though as the right one will find you, it's just a case of recognizing it when it does ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're unhappy in your job, too. It's awful to spend such a large part of your life in a place you don't like!

      Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  10. I understand your frustration. Two of my children are still looking for jobs. One has moved again, works at a coffee shop and another has been living with me taking care of me, till he can find another job. Both have sent out hundreds of resumes been on so many interviews and never hear back.
    As for how to keep yourself from frustrations.... (my health is an ongoing frustration) I just remember everyday I can get up out of bed is great and I have my family and gud dug. You just have to look for the good and small treats.
    Good Luck and I hope you can find a new job soon !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete